People have been searching for an alternative to salt-based water softeners for years. Lugging around bags of salt can be a pain, and having to worry about salt levels constantly does not leave you peace of mind that your softener will be in peak shape.
Additionally, salt-based water softeners take up TONS of space and can be pricy to install and maintain. Luckily, with the evolution of the electronic water descaler, these issues are a thing of the past. Using electromagnetic waves rather than salt, an electronic water descaler will not remove unwanted particles but rather suspend them in the water to keep them from reaching your pipes and glasses.
Electronic water descalers are becoming more and more popular with people all over the globe because of their maintenance-free nature, affordability, and easy installation. There are so few moving parts with electronic water descalers that any homeowner or landlord could install it with little to no resistance.
All you need is a standard 110-volt electrical supply, and you will be able to have cleaner, more pure water throughout your home. There are several choices to choose from when deciding on the best electronic water descaler, but with our in-depth review section and buying guide, we are confident we can help you find the perfect choice for you.
What is Electronic Water Descaler?
This is a great question! The electronic water descaler was developed to be a cheaper, maintenance-free alternative to a salt-based water softener.
A water descaler is different; however, it is how it treats the water. Many other softeners and filters will take water into their system and remove particles from the water by capturing them in a filter or by enveloping them into the salt pellets.
With an electronic water descaler, you are not removing any hardness particles or molecules. Instead, the water molecules’ molecular structure is rearranged, and because of this, water molecules will be separated as they flow into your pipes and appliances. Because the water molecules are not stacked or stuck onto one another, the water can flow through the pipes without allowing hardness particles to attach the pipes. This is what causes scale build-up and damage appliances.
How Do Electronic Water Descalers Work?
The science and technology behind electronic water descalers are super cool. The biggest difference between salt-based softeners and other alternatives is that descalers do NOT remove anything from the water.
Softeners will remove particles and contaminants from the water using a filtering agent like salt or resin. Electronic water descalers will change the molecular structure of the water without removing anything. This helps the water flow freely and does not allow water molecules to stick to each other and cause scale build-up.
Electronic water descalers use a combination of electricity and cable/metal bands to create the force that changes the water’s molecular structure.
The cable or metal bands that are wrapped around the main water supply pipe will create an electromagnetic wave that stops hardness particles and rearranges them. This allows the water to come through the pipes and into appliances in the best molecular structure for your pipes and appliances.
Electronic Water Descaler vs. Water Softener
There are several unique differences between water softeners and electronic water descalers. Understanding the differences between them and comparing these two different types of water combatants is important when identifying the best water purification solution for you.
Electronic Water Descaler
Why We Like Electronic Water Descalers:
- Descalers are more affordable than many other softener alternatives.
- There is much less maintenance with electronic water descalers than alternatives.
- The operating and maintenance costs associated with water descalers are incredibly cheap compared to whole-home filters and softening systems.
- When it comes to installation, electronic water descalers are designed to be installed by the homeowner, and it usually takes less than 20 minutes!
- Water flow rates are completely unaffected.
What Could Be Better?
- If you focus on drinking water and limiting the number of contaminants, it is usually suggested to combine a filtering solution and a water descaler. The descaler will not be as effective on its own.
- Depending on your home’s size and how far water needs to travel, you may need more than one descaler.
- This is rare and not as common, but if your water needs to travel 50 feet further on after it goes through the descaler, you may need a 2nd one on the line.
Why We Like Water Softeners:
- They are reliable and remove thousands of different contaminants from your water.
- Flow rates are typically unaffected due to the nature of water softeners.
- They are becoming easier to install for many homeowners.
- There is constantly new technology emerging, and salt-less systems are now becoming a popular choice, which lowers maintenance costs.
- They are quiet and operate primarily on their own with few operating costs.
What Could Be Better?
- Whole-home water softeners are large and take up a ton of space in your basement or utility closet.
- They are much more expensive to purchase.
- Water softeners typically require a lot of maintenance compared to electronic water descalers.
- These things include Salt replenishment, intake filter changes, and system regenerations.
- Installation can be more difficult with water softeners for the homeowner. This will add more costs to the initial investment.
The electronic water descaling technology has evolved tremendously in the past few years that it is hard to find things you do not like about them. The truth is, you cannot go wrong with one or the other, and each home requires different things. It comes down to choosing the best product for you, and with the emergence of electronic water descalers, it is worth investigating them as your solution.
Eddy Electronic Water Descaler vs. Scaleblaster
Today, two of the most popular electronic water descalers on the market are the Eddy Descaler and the Scaleblaster. It is often asked which one is better and, most importantly, why is it better?
Eddy Electronic Water Descaler:
- Pipe Size Capacity = 1.5-Inche.
- Grains Per Gallon Capacity = 20 gpg.
- Signal Cable Length = 5 feet.
- Warranty = 1-year, money-back guarantee
- Maximum Range = 3000+ SQ. Feet
Scale Blaster Electronic Water Descaler
- Pipe Size Capacity =. 1.25-Inches
- Grains Per Gallon Capacity = 19 gpg
- Signal Cable Length = 46 feet.
- Warranty = 3-year, money-back guarantee
- Maximum Range = 3000+ SQ. Feet
As you can see from the comparison chart, there is not a ton that differs between the two most popular electronic water descalers on the market today.
These subtle differences between the two can be significant when it comes to determining the best electronic water descaler for you. The size of your home, water hardness levels, and installation requirements will all come into play when deciding.
Best Electronic Water Descaler Reviews
1. Eddy Electronic Water Descaler – Water Softener Alternative
The Eddy Electronic Water Descaler was the original electronic water descaler. It uses two strong magnets to create a virtual force field that suspends water hardness particles in the water supply, and it does not allow them through to your pipes or home. It works on any 110-volt electrical plug, and once you have it in place, you do not need to worry about it for years to come.
Because there is no salt or compound resin, the Eddy descaler is virtually maintenance-free after the first install.
The electronic switchboard is simple, but it effectively displays all the information you need it to. It is also easy to install to any wall or area around a water supply pipe where you may want to install the descaler.
You will notice an immediate improvement in water quality. Descaled water does wonder for hair, skin, and nails and is much safer to consume than untreated water.
Why We Love It
- This system’s simplicity is unmatched; it is truly just plugging in the chord and putting it into place.
- We have noticed a distinct drop in calcium and magnesium in our water testing.
- The salt-free nature of the descaler makes it virtually maintenance-free.
- There has been a noticeable drop in calcium deposits on appliances and hardware.
Keep In Mind
It would be nice if there were replacement coils included in-case anything happened to them.
2. ISpring ED2000 Whole House Electronic Water Descaler
iSpring is one of the most reliable water purification and water improvement companies out there. They constantly strive to create quality, effective, and affordable products, and their electronic water descaler is no exception.
The antenna cable is thick and durable but is still easy to wrap around the descaler with no fear of damage. My favorite feature of this unit is the built-in mounting bracket with multiple different pilot holes that are easily identifiable and will fit most size screws when you install it.
In terms of installation, iSpring is one of the best companies for technical support and customer service. They have tons of online videos and resource material to help you with installation and anything else you may need help with.
You get a full 1-year warranty from the manufacturer in addition to all these other support items. The descaler does a great job of removing hard water deposits that can cause itchy skin and plugged-up appliances.
Why We Love It
- There was an immediate improvement in the amount of scale build-up throughout the home.
- The system’s control board is strong and sturdy and is easily attached to any wall.
- It works with any 110-volt electrical supply, so finding a spot to install it is easy.
- The antenna cable, which makes up the coil, is durable but very tough. I am not worried about breaking it.
Keep In Mind
If your water is traveling over 50 feet, you may need two devices spread out to garner the benefits of the electronic descaler.
3. HQUA 5000E Electronic Water Descaler, Water Softener Alternative
The HQUA looks great and does a great job stopping hardness particles from entering your water pipes and appliances.
One extremely noticeable thing was that this descaler helped remove already existing limescale and scale build-up within my appliances. To me, that is a true sign that it is doing its job. The HQUA system’s versatility is by far the most we have seen in an electronic descaler.
The cable bands are attached by lengthy chords that can be extended or shortened depending on where you place your descaler great job emitting the electromagnetic wave that is so important for descalers. If you are struggling to find an outlet close enough to your main water line, the HQUA offers a chord extension that allows you to plug it in wherever is best.
Why We Love It
- The system is extremely versatile. The cable bars are moveable, and you can install them in any place, regardless of your surroundings.
- The cable bands are wide and super tough. They will bend or break.
- It comes with a long chord to help your installation efforts, but HQUA has an optional chord extension that works well if you need longer.
- The water descaler does a wonderful job limiting limescale build-up and keeps appliances running smoothly.
Keep In Mind
It would be great if there were water hardness strips included to test the water after install.
4. Capacitive Electronic Water Descaler System
The Yarna CWD24 electronic descaler is one of the unique systems that we have investigated thus far. Rather than the typical electromagnetic field that most electronic water descalers use, this system uses the water flow to its advantage by using the water flow’s energy.
Because the bands are so much larger than most comparable systems, you are getting more energy dispersed in a larger surface area, allowing more areas for hardness particles to be trapped.
One of the biggest advantages of choosing this system is handling any amount of water and any level of hardness. Because the metal bands are so wide, you do not need to worry about the distance between your descaler and your water inlet.
This device can manage the water for 20 apartments and effectively remove hardness particles and save your appliances from scale buildup for years.
Why We Love It
- Installation is easy thanks to the built-in mounting hardware on the control panel of the unit.
- There is no maximum to the number of grains in your water that this system can handle.
- It runs on a 24-volt battery, which gives it four times as much energy to attacking hardness particles.
- There has been no maintenance with this electronic descaler since it was installed.
Keep In Mind
The bands on this system can only install on water lines that are 1-inch or smaller. The standard is usually 1.5-inches.
5. Electronic Water Descaler Decalcifier Conditioner
This electronic water descaler is a great choice for DIY, capable people, and those who like to put things together. The descaler comes out of the package with the entire internal system visible, and there is no cover or protective layer between the components and the elements. For many people, this is not an issue. I love to see how things work and learn which part does what, and for technical people like myself, this is a cool descaler.
The cable is strong, durable, and easy to work with. You get a lot of it for the unit’s price, and we have had no issues with longevity, even though the unit is less than $50.
The company offers multiple different options you can choose from to best combat the water hardness particles within your home. The standard package comes with switchboards connected, so your cable reaches more water pipe areas to disperse hardness particles.
You can also order a single board if you are dealing with a shorter water pipe. While this system comes with no bells and whistles, its low price and overall effectiveness make it a great option for anyone.
Why We Love It
- This system is one of the most affordable descalers we have reviewed thus far.
- We noticed that soaps and shower products lather better now that this descaler is installed.
- Depending on how your specific situation and how long your pipes are, the company offers bulk packages of this descaler for a reduced price.
- The cable is durable, strong, and easy to manage when installing onto your water pipes.
Keep In Mind
- The head lacks an adjustable setting, and in rare instances, the connectors in the wall may leak
- This descaler comes completely disassembled, and the setup time takes longer.
- The unit comes with no cover over the internal electronics; it could easily be damaged.
How to Install the Eddy Electronic Water Descaler
The beauty of an electronic water descaler is the ease of installation. It requires virtually zero plumbing experience or really any experience with home improvement products.
An important factor that is regularly overlooked is where is the best place to install the water descaler. Before you purchase it, ensure that there is an outlet (standard 120-volt) somewhere near the water main. Ensure that the electronic water descaler you choose has a long enough power chord to reach the pipe from the wall outlet.
Once you have scouted the perfect place to install the descaler, the installation can occur.
This is a very quick process and one that will have you feeling accomplished when completed. After plugging the switchboard into the wall, it is now time to place the metal cable bands onto the main water pipe.
According to the instructions that come with the unit, carefully wrap the band around the pipe, leaving a tiny bit of room between each wrap. Work your way from inside to outside with cable bands and wrap them tightly onto the main water line.
Repeat the same process for the other cable band are ensure they are connected to the switchboard. From here, the electromagnetic wave that the cable bands create in correlation with the power supply will do all the work.
Frequently Asked Question & Answered
Can an electronic water descaler work on PVC?
For the most part, yes! Most of them can be installed onto PVC and every other type of water piping. Just ensure that your water pipe is sized right to work with the electronic descaler that you choose.
Which is better, an electronic or magnetic water descaler?
Electronic water descalers’ ever-improving technology is safe to say that electronic water descalers are the right choice. They still use some of the same aspects of the magnetic style, but with the added benefit of electricity, the electromagnetic field stays stronger and will not lapse.
Are electric water descalers eco-friendly?
Absolutely! This one of the best benefits of an electronic water descaler. They are loaded with eco-friendly features. Unlike many alternatives, they do not waste any water during operation, and they only cost $5-$7 per year to operate, which equates to ultra-low energy usage.
Electronic water descalers are an excellent choice for those looking to improve their overall water quality.
They are priced much more affordably than alternative water softening units, and all appreciate the true lack of maintenance required to operate them. Not to mention, they are the simplest and easiest water treatment solution for homeowner installation. There is just so much to love about electronic water descalers.
Choosing the best electronic water descaler may seem like a daunting task, but we are confident that you will find the perfect choice for you with a little bit of research and knowledge. Remember, each home is different, and everyone has different desires and needs regarding their water quality.
By following our in-depth reviews and buying guide, you have everything you need to make an educated decision on the best electronic water descaler available.